If you need a heavy-duty tool that can help you on framing and construction works, then you need a framing nailer. A framing nailer is extremely handy if you want a powerful tool that can help you finish your work in no time. So basically, framing nailers are commonly used for framing and construction projects. Even though you have all the time in the world on hammering, using the good framing nailer on your task would give better results. Besides, it takes a lot of experience and skills to swing a hammer like Thor so check out our prepared review below to find the best framing nailer for your needs.
6 Best Framing Nailer Reviews 2019
Paslode 902600 Cordless Framing Nailer
If you have an unending issue every time you work on tight spaces, then perhaps a pneumatic framing nailer is what you need. In that case, Paslode 902600 Cordless Framing Nailer might be the best nailer that could help you on your current and future projects. Paslode 902600 Cordless Framing Nailer is a powerful tool that uses a Lithium-Ion battery which is capable of sinking up to six thousand nails when fully charged.
As a matter of fact, charging it for 2 minutes will already allow you to shoot up to 200 nails.
Features and Specification:
- The cordless operation allows better maneuverability when moving to different locations to shoot 30° nails
- The lithium-ion battery is its major advantage over other brands’ models since this type of battery provides more power performance
- 5 hours full battery life is enough to shoot a thousand nails and finishing small projects before it needs to be recharged
- Tool-less depth adjustment made it more convenient for most customers since it means less hassle
- Ergonomically designed nosepiece for driving nails in any angle that you want
- Lightweight and easy to transport anywhere
- 2x faster charging time and longer battery lifespan
- Includes safety glasses, durable plastic carrying case, and a battery
- Best for small to medium level quick projects
- Heavy duty belt hook
- Too pricey compared with its competitors
- Can’t be used with other nails but exclusive Paslode nails
Freeman PFR2190 Full-Head Framing Nailer
If you want to use a framing nailer that uses 21° full head nails, then this Freeman PFR2190 Full-Head Framing Nailer is the one you are looking for. Aside from framing, you can also use this nailer on sliding installations, wall sheathing, building fences, sub flooring, and even assembling other wood constructions. Its amazing features made it a top choice among ordinary and professional customers.
Despite being known for its durability, its body that is made from magnesium is lightweight. This means that it is also easy to control providing no restriction and more convenience.
Features and Specification:
- Interchangeable triggers provide more options from bump-fire quick firing to single accurate nail placement
- 360° adjustable air exhaust keeps the air away from the users face during work and to keep the debris away from the workplace
- Depth adjust modifies the firing depth depending on the level of project
- No-mar tip protects the workspace from developing dents and scratches to provide a clean result
- No-slip teeth remove the no-mar teeth for a better grip on wood surfaces when shooting nails
- Minimal jam tendencies and misfires
- Lightweight and easy to reload
- Provides more shooting options
- Requires less maintenance
- Compatible with 2 – 3-1/2 inches long nails from any brand
- Automatically stops shooting when the number of nails is low
- Does not have a nail window
- Not best for tight spaces since it’s too bulky
Dewalt DCN692M1 Dual Speed Framing Nailer
When the versatility of tools comes first on your must-have list, Dewalt DCN692M1 Dual Speed Framing Nailer can certainly help you. Dewalt is widely known for its durable and efficient tools so there’s no doubt that this framing nailer model is as incredible as the brand’s other products. Dewalt DCN692M1 Dual Speed Framing Nailer is a very versatile tool which is why it is one of the “to-go” nailers on the market.
Whether you ought to use it on huge construction or small DIY projects, this framing nailer is fit for the job.
Features and Specification:
- Cordless and battery-powered machine eliminates the use of fuel, electric cord, and an air compressor
- 20V Max Lithium-Ion battery provides a maximum power to make the machine work efficiently
- Optimized dual speed options for better fastening lengths: for less recoil and more shots for every charge, and for more heavy-duty works
- Sequential and bump modes allow users to choose between precision placement and production speed
- Uses 30° to 34° nails on both bump and sequential firing with a trigger lock for extra safety
- Energy efficient and eco-friendly
- Easy to carry around when transferring to another location
- Includes a durable plastic carrying case to avoid wear and tears
- 2-speed modes perfect for a hot and cold weather
- Longer battery lifespan
- Its nail magazine can only hold up to 55 nails
- It’s a little pricey for some customers
Hitachi NR90AE(S) Full-Head Framing Strip
Since a nail gun is one of the most important tools in construction sites and other small DIY projects, it’s no surprise why there are thousands of products to choose from. From small to large projects, there is always a nail gun that can fit your needs. In fact, Hitachi NR90AE(S) Full-Head Framing Strip is one of those top nail guns on the market that are loved by customers.
Hitachi NR90AE(S) Full-Head Framing Strip’s design allows users to use it for long hours without straining their hands and shoulders. Weighing 7.5 lbs. it’s easy to control with better grip.
Features and Specification:
- Selective actuation allows users to switch modes from contact to sequential firing in one swift flip of the switch
- Tool-less depth of drive dial adjusts the nailer to flush or countersunk to avoid adjusting the compressor’s pressure anymore
- Strong clap tip serves as a protection of the gun’s nose and toenail
- Lightweight design made it really comfortable to use for extended hours and overhead applications
- 21° angled magazine nails with a separate mounting bracket to avoid spending big on repairs
- Extruded aluminum nail magazine provides extra durability
- Doesn’t leave imprints on hardwoods
- Tool-less adjustment means less hassle during work
- Efficient yet affordable
- More convenient with elastomer grip trigger
- Built from durable and lightweight materials
- Best for small to large volume of projects
- Uses oil to keep the machine running smoothly
- The sliding jams too often
- Leaves imprints on softwoods
Hitachi NR90GR2 Gas Powered Plastic Strip Collated Framing Nailer
Popularly known for producing some of the best pneumatic framing nailers, Hitachi brand also creates cordless nail guns that are powered by gas. This means that you no longer have to worry about whether you need to buy a battery separately or not. You don’t need to recharge anymore or even pull on a cord when transferring to another location. This framing nailer is also compatible with Paslode and Bostitch’s fuel cartridges making it a versatile choice for customers.
Hitachi NR90GR2 Gas Powered Plastic Strip Collated Framing Nailer is easy to use and very reliable. You can use it even in tight spaces.
Features and Specification:
- A versatile gas cartridge is compatible to with Paslode and Bostitch
- 2V, 1.4Amp nickel-cadmium battery can shoot up to 4,000 nails
- Light indicator alerts its users that the battery needs to be recharged to avoid a sudden shutdown
- Elastomer grip allows its users to use the machine in just one hand without straining their arms and shoulders
- Dual firing mode options and depth adjustment provides added convenience to users
- Detachable rafter hook allows users to hang the nailer to be hanged from a rafter when needed
- Reduced vibration and slippage
- Easy to maneuver and transport
- Efficient and comfortable to use
- Guarantees a professional finish
- One of the most powerful and affordable nail guns on the market
- Best for small to medium construction projects
- The machine produces too much noise when working
- Doesn’t require an air compressor or a hose
Bostitch F21PL Round Head Framing Nailer
Working in construction projects often means spending long hours working and moving around. Carrying tools and materials in different locations is also time-consuming so it is important that you always have the right tools by your side. This way, you can minimize the time and energy you use on moving and setting everything you need.
Bostitch F21PL Round Head Framing Nailer is designed to for large and quick projects. This framing nailer can drive 21° – 23° nails that are 1 ½ – 3 ½ inches. This pneumatic gun is popular among professionals.
Features and Specification:
- Unbeatable power to weight ratio helps its users to finish different types of jobs with fine results
- Patented features provide more efficient results on setting the nails in just one push
- Sturdy housing made from magnesium adds extra protection and an extended lifespan
- Quick change nosepieces allow its users to switch from being a metal connector to a plastic-collated framing nailer
- 16 inches layout indicator on the magazines alerts its users the precise distance between studs
- Rubber grip provides extra tight grip on the machine while running
- Dual nail gun in a single unit
- Very lightweight and comfortable to use
- Drives nails with great power and precision
- Best with metal brackets and in between frames
- Adjustable head makes the switching of the nail’s size easier
- Low-capacity nail magazine can only hold up to 60 nails
- Jams often when used on overhead applications
What is the Difference Between the Best Framing Nailer and a Regular Nail Gun?
If all nailers use nails to help you on small to large projects, does it really matter which nail is better? Does it matter if each type of nailer is manufactured with the same quality and materials? Of course, all information matters when it comes to choosing the best framing nailer. This means that you should know the similarities and differences of each product especially between a regular nail gun and framing nailer.
Typically a regular nail gun can be used in various projects to avoid the fatigue and strain that users commonly experience when using a hammer. However, unlike framing nailers, regular nail guns cannot perform at its best when it comes to large projects. Framing nailers are specially designed to aid in sub-flooring, building decks, building a fence, and framing of course. Regular nail guns may be versatile but its end results aren’t as precise as framing nailers do for heavy-duty works.
When it comes to dealing with plaster, an ordinary hammers and nail gun can either loosen or crack the plaster. But with a framing nailer, you rest assured that you will get a clean result in a record time. A regular nail gun typically has a spring load design with only two major purposes: to hammer nails on woods with a greater and rapid force and to reload after each use.
However, a framing nailer can be used on various tasks that range from small to large projects without loading one nail after each use. You can even choose whether you want a pneumatic, electric, or cordless framing nailer if you want.
Different Types of Nailers
Since nailer was introduced on the market, it became widely used in various types of constructions. Different types of nailers were even released to fit specific purposes from light to heavy-duty construction projects. So if you need a handy tool that can assure you a quick response, these are the types of nailers you can choose from:
- Framing Nailers
When it comes to working on the biggest construction projects, framing nailer is the king. Framing nailers are commonly used on wood framings and heavy constructions which require the use of 3½ inches nails for joining 2 x 4’s.
- Finishing Nailers
Finishing nailers are perfect for small and indoor projects like DIYs. Finishing nailers commonly used on 14 – 16 gauge, 1 inch – 2½ inches nails on making cabinets, doors, windows, chair rails, baseboards, and other furniture. It’s available in both cordless and air compression nailers.
- Brad Nailers
The same with finishing nailers, brad nailers are best for light works with only 18 gauge, 5/8 – 2 inches nails. However, its nail magazine isn’t angled different and is used on much smaller projects that require precision works.
- Roofing Nailers
As its name suggests, roofing nailers are specifically used on roof shingles. Thus, roofing nailers use smaller nails with bigger heads.
- Flooring Nailers
Specially designed for simply speeding up the installation of hardwood floorings, flooring nailers can really nail it with just a moderate blow. You will never miss the right angle and depth with this powerful tool.
- Palm Nailers
This is the smallest nailer for really tight spaces. Palm nailers don’t have a nail magazine so it should be reloaded after using each nail.
Framing Nailer Buying Guide
Sometimes, it doesn’t really matter if you are a professional or not when it comes to handling power tools. As long as you have a clear guide and the best framing nailer, you will surely get your job done at on time. So by following this guide on buying a framing nailer, you can guarantee that all your future projects will be branded with great quality.
- Kinds of Framing Nailer
First things first, know that there are 3 kinds of framing nailers:
- Pneumatic Framing Nailer
This framing nailer uses an air compressor to work in a higher capacity. This kind is known for performing at the highest level and finish tasks simultaneously.
- Cordless Framing Nailer
This is best for DIY tasks with better maneuverability. Since it is cordless, it uses a battery and a detachable air compressor. A cordless framing nailer can also work with fuel. Its versatility made it popular among customers especially to those who already have a separate air compressor.
- Electric Framing Nailer
This kind of framing nailer is sold in either cordless or corded electric. This is best for small to heavy-duty projects despite having a cord that you have to pull along every time you move to another location. However, its effectiveness and flexibility made it more convenient compared with a pneumatic framing nailer.
Whether you prefer to shop online or offline, there are thousands of framing nailers that you have to choose from. From Dewalt, Bosch, Hitachi, to Freeman and other brands, the choices can be overwhelming so setting a budget will help you narrow down your search. Once you set your budget, you can compare products from different brands within your budget better. However, be sure that you are dealing with legit sellers before purchasing any item.
When you pick a framing nailer, be sure that it is lightweight and comfortable to use even after long hours of usage. Too heavy framing nailers can leave your arms and shoulder in pain especially if the project needs hours after hours to be done. The lighter your framing nailer is the better you can control it.
- Air Compressor
Since both cordless and pneumatic framing nailers use air compressors, it is important that you check how the air compressor works. It should at least take 25gallons to keep your framing nailer working.
- Jam Clearance
Another thing that is common among framing nailers is its propensity to jam. For some especially those who are new to using nail guns like a framing nailer, experiencing jam can be annoying. It consumes time and energy so be sure that your chosen framing nailer has a stress-free jam clearance.
- Nail Compatibility
Typically, each brand has its own design of nail so be sure that the nail you will buy is compatible with your chosen framing nailer. There are some companies that sell framing guns with only one dimension while others sell nails in various forms and sizes.
If you want to ensure your safety while using a framing nailer, be sure that it contains safety features. Stay away from low-quality and fake machines to ensure your safety.
Getting the best framing nailer will not only guarantee you better results but also more time and money to enjoy. Framing nailers only require minimal amount of energy to be used with ease so you don’t have to worry about straining your arms, back, and shoulders. Considering the purpose of a framing nailer, you can take advantage of its benefits for a long time once you know how to pick the right one.
Since each product has its own pros and cons, knowing what to look for and expect on each product is very vital. With all these information, it’ll be easier for you to get the best framing nailer at a reasonable price.